Frequently Asked Questions
DO YOU STILL HAVE LIVE COURSES?
No, and here's why. Our brand new 45 Day Access - Self-Paced courses were created from live courses that took place. They are superior to our live courses because now, students can go over material as many times as they wish for 45 days.
BUT I'M NOT GOOD WITH SELF-PACED COURSES.
Really? How so? Our courses may be self-paced but don't let the title fool you. They are recordings of live courses, meaning, you're watching what you would have seen in our live courses. If you prefer live courses, we're confident that you'll love these. Past students who have recently taken these courses, feel that they are amazing.
ARE THESE COURSES SIMILAR TO STUDYING FROM A BOOK?
Absolutely not! Our courses are video presentations of our live courses. They have a beginning and an end, just like our live courses and are broken up into easily understood, smaller areas.
WHY DID YOU COME OUT WITH THESE 45 DAY ACCESS - SELF-PACED COURSES?
For numerous reasons. Times and technology have changed. Individual lifestyles and habits have changed. We have noticed that a large percentage of emails and phone calls pertained to the idea of self-paced course requests. People are busy. They live in different time zones. They want the benefit of learning but on their own terms and times. We are happy with our decision to be able to reach people who wouldn't be able to benefit from our classes otherwise.
HOW IS THE SUPPORT AFTER MY COURSE IS FINISHED?
Amazing of course! Nothing has changed except for the ability to help more people. Our support system is the same...better even! With our in course messaging system, students can ask questions at their leisure. After your course is complete, we're here for you as we have been for over 45 years.
DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR TAKING THESE COURSES?
Yes! Here are some great tips and best practice advice for these courses.
1) To get the most out of the course, you need to realize that the videos are so much more than "movies". They are segments of a live course and all of the information that is covered in these videos is important. If there wasn't something important, it wouldn't be in the course.
2) This course is about learning, not simply "viewing". There is a lot of information in this course and that is why we have given 45 days for completion.
3) Take the time to ask yourself questions about all that you encounter and learn in the course. Try to imagine what you have learned, being used in daily estimating life.
4) Take notes, many notes! We have found that it's good to separate your notes into two sections - Course notes and Job (Refers to the two story office building that is estimated during this course) notes.
5) Understand that the course takes a logical path, from beginning to end and also know that No part of this class can be skipped over, they all work together, teaching you the beginnings of commercial estimating.
6) Lastly, there is no benefit in trying to rush through your course. Give yourself proper time to digest each and every video. This course is for YOUR benefit.
IF I GET STUCK WILL YOU HELP ME?
Of course! The Carter School of Estimating has been here for a long time and has helped thousands of people like yourself become great estimators. If you don't "get it", we don't sleep...and we mean that with all sincerity. Our promise to each and every student is that we're here if you need us. Whether your question is about what you learned in the course or even if it's a question about your estimating trade in general... we'll help answer your questions and will try to solve your issue. With that being said... your responsibilities as a student are to try to help yourself. During the course, you're given many tips on finding solutions and also have resourses that you can download from the course.